This episode we discuss concussions, the sequelae that happen as a result of concussions, and the long term effects of repeated head trauma. We seek answers from “Captain Cortex”, Prof. Stuart Swadron. Medical team physician for the Cleveland Indians, Dr Tom Waters, explains the process of assessing when an injured player in the NFL can go back in the game. Dave’s personal trainer, Steven Yates, talks about his experience with concussions, as a former college football player. And Jess speaks to a young patient and his mother, who recently came into the ER after a head injury, about their story.
- Bakhos LL, Lockhart GR, Myers R, Linakis JG. Emergency department visits for concussion in young child athletes. Pediatrics. 2010 Sep 1;126(3):e550-6.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nonfatal traumatic brain injuries from sports and recreation activities--United States, 2001-2005. MMWR: Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2007;56(29):733-7.
- Kelly JP, Rosenberg JH. The development of guidelines for the management of concussion in sports. The Journal of head trauma rehabilitation. 1998 Apr 1;13(2):53-65.
- MacFarlane MP, Glenn TC. Neurochemical cascade of concussion. Brain injury. 2015 Jan 28;29(2):139-53.
- Marar M, McIlvain NM, Fields SK, Comstock RD. Epidemiology of concussions among United States high school athletes in 20 sports. The American journal of sports medicine. 2012 Apr 1;40(4):747-55.
- McCrory P, Meeuwisse WH, Aubry M, Cantu B, Dvořák J, Echemendia RJ, Engebretsen L, Johnston K, Kutcher JS, Raftery M, Sills A. Consensus statement on concussion in sport: the 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich, November 2012. British journal of sports medicine. 2013 Apr 1;47(5):250-8.
- McCrory P, Davis G, Makdissi M. Second impact syndrome or cerebral swelling after sporting head injury. Current sports medicine reports. 2012 Jan 1;11(1):21-3.
- McCrory PR, Berkovic SF. Second impact syndrome. Neurology. 1998 Mar 1;50(3):677-83.
- Mower WR, Hoffman JR, Herbert M, Wolfson AB, Pollack Jr CV, Zucker MI, NEXUS II Investigators. Developing a decision instrument to guide computed tomographic imaging of blunt head injury patients. Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2005 Oct 1;59(4):954-9.
- Omalu BI, DeKosky ST, Minster RL, Kamboh MI, Hamilton RL, Wecht CH. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in a National Football League player. Neurosurgery. 2005 Jul 1;57(1):128-34.
- Omalu BI, DeKosky ST, Hamilton RL, Minster RL, Kamboh MI, Shakir AM, Wecht CH. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in a national football league player: part II. Neurosurgery. 2006 Nov 1;59(5):1086-93.
- Provance AJ, Engelman GH, Terhune EB, Coel RA. Management of sport-related concussion in the pediatric and adolescent population. Orthopedics. 2015 Dec 23.
- Nagel, Maureen., & Nagel, Mason. (2016, January 15). Personal Interview.
- Swadron M.D., Stuart. (2016, January 15). Personal Interview.
- Waters M.D., Tom. (2016, January 15). Personal Interview.
- Yates, Steven. (2016, February 5). Personal Interview.
- [Sony Pictures Entertainment]. (2015, August 31). Concussion - Official Trailer (2015) - Will Smith. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/Io6hPdC41RM
- Eccles, M. (2016). Background Music [Recorded by Matt Eccles]. On TWHAB Podcast Episode 13: Concussions. [WAV file]. Los Angeles, California, USA: FoolyBoo, Inc.
- Unknown. (Photographer). (1952). José María Gatica and Luis Federico Thompson during a boxing match [digital image]. Retrieved from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gatica1.png
- BJSM. (2016). SCAT3: Sports Concussion Assessment Tool – 3rd Edition. British Journal of Sports Medicine. Br J Sports Med 2013;47:259. Retrieved from http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/5/259.full.pdf
- Concussion. (2016, February 12). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion
- Downy Woodpecker. (2016, February 15). Retrieved from https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Downy_Woodpecker/id/
- Mayntz, M. (2014, December 27). 15 Fun Facts About Woodpeckers. Retrieved from http://birding.about.com/od/birdprofiles/a/15-Fun-Facts-About-Woodpeckers.htm
- Kounang, N. (2016, February 5). CTE in the NFL: The tragedy of Fred McNeill. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/04/health/fred-mcneill-cte-football-player/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obnetwork
- Thompson, D. (2016, February 8). Concussion linked to higher risk of suicide years later. Retrieved from http://www.cbsnews.com/news/concussion-linked-to-higher-risk-of-suicide/
- [MelbourneDemons2011]. (2015, August 24). AFL Biggest Bumps & Hard Hits 2015. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/9aVhGGTZbHk